The Heart of Simpatica
This land is ours, but it isn’t ours. It’s been loaned to
us for a little while. We don’t take that responsibility
lightly. It’s an honor.
It all started with Jamie Johnson’s great grandfather A.J. West, a citrus farmer in Orange County, California.
West’s passion for farming was further developed in Jamie’s grandfather Harry Johnson who went on to run orange, lemon, and avocado ranches.
As a child, Jamie followed his grandfather around the ranch which eventually sparked that same passion within him as well.
After working in several different capacities within the industry, Jamie sets off to build a large avocado growing operation in Brazil and partners with Jaguacy.
Jamie forms Simpatica with the purchase of a ranch in Ojai.
Scott Bauwens joins Simpatica as CEO and partner and works with Jamie to build its portfolio.
The company closes on numerous avocado ranches in northern and southern growing regions of California.
Ted Travers joins Simpatica and quickly grows into the role as head of all operations and becomes a partner.
Simpatica creates its own farm management division.
Andrew Prechtl joins Simpatica and swiftly grows into managing all finances for the company and its ranches.
Simpatica continues to grow its operations both domestically and abroad and is extremely enthusiastic about its future.
With more than 75 years of combined experience at the helm, we’re committed to avocados and to the business behind them.
Jamie Johnson | Founder
- Fourth-generation farmer
- 20+ years of experience in the global avocado industry
- 8 years on Hass Avocado Board
- Dean’s Advisory Board at the University of California Davis
- University of California Agriculture Issues and Economic Center board
Scott Bauwens | CEO
- 21+ years global executive management experience in avocado industry
- 12 years Vice President of Global Sourcing with one of the larger U.S. avocado distributors
- 10 years, Board of Directors Hass Avocado Board
- 7 years, Board of Directors California Avocado Commission
- 3 years, Board of Directors California Avocado Society
- Member of Secretary of Agriculture’s Avocado Inspection Committee
Ted Travers | COO
- 11 years of experience in the avocado industry – boots on the ground and hands in the soil
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of large-scale ranch management
- Environmental Horticulture Science educational background
- Fire Safe Council Advisory Board Member, Gaviota Coast CWPP
Andrew Prechtl | Asset Manager
- A background of public accounting with EY with a focus in real estate and private equity
- California Avocado Commission Director and Finance Committee Member
- Graduate of the University of Southern California; BS Accounting, BS Business Administration
- Licensed California Real Estate Broker
Caring for the land and natural resources
We believe in leaving the land better than when we started. Acre by acre, tree by tree, we care for, respect, and do what’s right by the soil, water, air and all other natural resources.
Being artistic farmers
We embrace an imaginative spirit, innovative thinking and challenge the status quo. We do it because we are passionate and believe in the value of our work.
We are inclusive and believe together we are better than any one individual. All team members are vital, have a voice and are empowered to contribute in meaningful ways.
Caring for people and families
From the hard working men and women who pick our fruit to the sons and daughters of our employees and the families who gather around dinner tables to enjoy our fruit, family drives what we do.
Partners for success
We can’t do what we do without the support of our partners who rely on us for exceptional financial and operational stewardship, reporting and returns. We are aligned on driving our collective business objectives, and in turn collaboratively growing California and Brazil’s best avocados.